Last week, my girlfriend and I had the opportunity to hit up a well-known Japanese dollar store. While exploring the numerous aisles of unimaginable products, we stumbled upon something fascinating: pore strips. Even though I do not speak nor understand a lick of Japanese, my curiosity for this product got the better of me... Worry not gentlemen, it is the duty of ManPossible to break barriers and explore all products related to grooming.
This is an exotic piece of work, aside from the instructions and the words of caution in English, everything else on the packaging is in Japanese. The overall packaging is simple and straightforward: four individually sealed and packaged strips are concealed in a larger, rectangle sized plastic packet. The design of the outer packet is a mix of transparent and black plastic with Japanese text all around. In the center of every individual yellow cream packet resides the Japanese character: “炭”, which is the same exact Chinese character for the word: “coal”. So, there you have it gents, a pore strip with the key ingredient being coal.
My first compliment about this item is the individual packets themselves. I can’t begin to share with you the various incidents where I had to hulk-out just to open a package and get to the product underneath. This was different, the package designers thoughtfully left not one, but two slits where one can easy tear into the product. There, fully exposed, sits a thin sheet of clear plastic with what seems to look like Mario’s big fat black mustache resting on top. That mustache is the pore strip. The side of the pore strip that rests on the plastic is completely jet-black, while the other side of the strip resembles that of woven fabric in a light gray tone.
How To Use:
- Rinse and clean nose with soap or preferred face wash
- Once clean, wet nose completely
- Remove strip from plastic sheet and place the smooth (jet-black) side against the skin and adhere to the nose
- Find a place to relax and wait for the moist strip to work its magic. Or, take some pictures of yourself and share it on facebook; Have a good laugh, it helps kill time. (Give the strip good 10 – 15 minutes for it to harden and dry. It’s also worth noting that the area where the strip covers will become itchy and sometimes gives off minor throbbing pain.)
- Warning: Please do exercise this final procedure with great caution. Our dearest star, Michael Jackson did not follow the instructions and ended up with a new nose… Once the strip hardens and you no longer feel any moisture, proceed to let it rip! It is best to face a mirror and start with one edge of the nose and slowly peel back the strip and work your way towards the opposite end. I’m not going to lie, the irritation and pain did bring tears to my eyes. What did I do?... Man up, Shut up and Rip The Eff Up!
- Hopefully you followed my instructions, and ended up with most of your nose intact. Now stare into the mirror and admire that clean, smooth and beautiful nose. Make sure to add a silent prayer to our dear friend Mike. If you are curious, check back to that pore strip, you’ll notice the initial jet-black color has transformed to a washed-out black with hundreds, if not thousands, of spots attached to it. Your nose sir, has just been cleansed!